Challenge #2 - Healing My Back

Hey folks! Not that anyone cares, but here is where I explain my next challenge...

It's January 4 and now I am overdue to begin my new challenge for this month. I was all set to do 30 days of yoga, however, I have reconsidered that plan in the last few days.

I have a disc bulge that is impinging on my L5-S1 nerve root on the left side. This condition causes chronic nerve irritation that goes all the way down my leg to the top of my foot, it also causes back pain. I have done a fair amount of physical therapy for the issue along with my own attempts at getting in better shape on my own and with the help of trainers. Unfortunately, compounding my problem is the fact that I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which makes me extra bendy and prone to injury. My numerous attempts to heal my back problem have usually ended with me being either in worse pain or completely bored with PT exercises that don't feel like they're addressing my body holistically.

Gosh, I wish my back pain was beautiful like this picture by Matheus Bertelli.

After struggling with this issue for 5 years, I need to take my healing journey to a whole new level. Healing my back must become top priority and after so many attempts at addressing it, I have a lot more information about how to approach it. Because this is such a specific issue, I decided that I am not ready for general yoga. Instead, I will spend this month curating a specific set of exercises, which will include core exercises and somatic movement, along with targeted visualizations and continued qigong practises to enhance my healing efforts.

I know this challenge is not sexy. It is not Qigong AF, but I need it.

Besides, you're damn lucky I didn't choose my job search as this month's challenge. You would have been bored to tears with that one. At least with this challenge, I can make fun of myself and you might have half a chance at laughing. If I was writing about my job search, you would just cry the entire month like me.

I totes love searching for a job! - Said no one ever. (source)

So what are the steps to my healing journey this month?

Gosh! Thanks for asking!

This is how it's going to break down starting today:

1. Research and Planning Phase: This is where I gather information and materials in order to devise an intelligent plan for myself. This includes external information from books, websites, people... but also internal information, like where I can feel tightness and restriction in my body and where I am particularly weak - that way I can choose exercises that attempt to "even out" my body. I will give myself until next Wednesday (1/10) to compile this information, gather my resources, and make a plan. All of this gets written down... probably on this blog just to irritate you.

2. Execution Phase: During this phase I will begin trying out my plan. Because it is a new approach to healing my back, I expect that there will need to be tweaks and changes a long the way. During the first week (1/11 - 1/17), I will be paying close attention to what does and does not work and will make adjustments accordingly. The second week of this phase should simply be a settling in of the routine. Assuming the plan goes well, I will be in this phase until the end of the month (Wednesday, January 31).

3. Review Phase: During the last few days of the month (1/28 - 1/31), I will take some time to consider how the challenge has gone so far. This challenge technically has no end, because I will have to continue taking care of my back for the rest of my life, however, what I need in terms of exercises and practises will evolve over time. It will be interesting to take a look at my progress over the previous three weeks and assess if I've had the results that I want. I'll know if I was successful if I experience a stronger core and significantly reduced pain and discomfort. Terrible and excruciating pain and irritating discomfort will tell me if I've failed. Basically, failure will mean nothing has changed and then I will cry forevar!!!... and probably ask to speak to a surgeon as a last ditch effort to get relief.

So that's it. That's my next challenge and now I'm accountable to you to get it done.

Don't go easy on me. Hold me to it people.

Seriously...

You may have to spank me as punishment for slacking off...

They knew the value of a good spanking in 1903... (source)

But you need to get my explicit consent first and we may need a safe word... just sayin.

I mean isn't that what they teach in 50 Shades of Grey?

Shut up, I wouldn't know, because I refuse to read that Twilight fan fic trash, but I know you did and you loved it.

But I digress...

Comments

Popular Posts